Sunday Sins

Well good evening,

This weekend has been one of housework, writing and baking.

I've broached my story for this year's Asylum anthology, a sequel to Prometheus Enslaved, where I've had to do some serious rethinking about the story I want to write. I've been quite worried that I'll end up writing a carbon copy of the first story. I think that I've worked out a way to avoid that, one which involves expanding my protagonists' repertoire; from mere resurrections to alchemy and strange elixirs. I've also settled on the people they're dealing with, eschewing the military option, partially because I found out that the American Civil War was about ten years before the original story and since neither Pinter nor the Doctor are time travellers (it's not that Doctor) that's obviously beyond their reach. In addition the long, dragged out American Civil War seems to have become something of a cliche so I abandoned the idea in favour of something else. The odd thing is the source of the new direction, something my Mum said after she read the first story about wanting to know more about one of the characters. Obviously there's going to have to be editing but so far it seems to be going okay and taking shape nicely.

Also on the writing front I've been taking stock. The latest issue of Cogzine has the last part of the Angel Serial that I've written, where Kat meets an angel and a demon. One of the things I wanted to do with the chapter was present the celestial beings in an utterly bizarre fashion, making it clear that they saw the world and universe in an utterly different way to humans. I also wanted to leave some doubt as to which side of the table each character was on. This is partly because I find the traditional images of angels and demons boring, even if the Angel in London does confirm to the human with wings image.

It's been a long time since I thought about the serial so now I'm working out the next steps. I know where the series is going but I need to work out individual chapters. I think we may snap back to Earth, rather than spending more time in the compay of Acrimony and Scorn (who I love writing).

I also need to start work on the next essay for Jed Phoenix, which will be a short essay on Gothic as an aesthetic ideal. I think it's going to be a short history of Gothic touching on things like the growth of Gothic cathedrals, the Romantic poets and the early horror films from the 1920s and 30s.

I've also started playing Metroid Prime: Other M, on the Wii, and so far I'm liking it. It's a lot easier to play than the Gamecube versions were because they're first person shooters, which I find difficult.

Lastly I've made a roast dinner and chocolate brownies, which I don't think is too shabby, so I suppose I should be thinking about bed...

Comments

Popular Posts